Lissibith

Inkspot Fancy

Comics and fantasy and sci-fi, oh my!

The House on the Borderland
Devil Survivor 1
Satoru Matsuba

Highlights

Superheroes - Rich Horton, Peter S. Beagle, Kelly Link

Let me preface this by saying, I am lazy. Combine that with how long I took to get around to this review and the fact that a couple of the stories I'd already read in other compilations, and I'm just not even going to try to give my thoughts on every one of these stories. Instead, I'm going to hit the highlights of what was actually a pretty solid collection.

First I have to give pride of place to Peter Beagle's "Dirae." I love Beagle's writing, I think he's seemed like a wonderful person each time I've had the pleasure of meeting him and his work more than most has inspired my own writing as well as my personal taste and standards for reading.

"Dirae" is an unusual story, sometimes hard to follow but not in a bad way. It's about a vigilante who, somewhat Winter Soldier-like, can't remember anything between the end of one fight and the beginning of another. But as time goes on, bits start to stick with the character, leading to questions of purpose and identity and eventually, what reality is for them. I found it to be deeply compelling. Definitely worth the read.

Perhaps my favorite narrative out of the bunch was "Downfall," by Joseph Mallozzi. It talks about a former villain who's set on a right path and tries to settle into a normal life - until he's called on to help the law deal with one of his old comrades. I really enjoyed the main character in this one, and when this was over I found myself wanting mooooooore. I was disappointed to find I can't go buy a book by this guy, but I may have to check out the "Dark Matter" comic.

Wonjjang and the Madman of Pyongyang is probably the most "superhero-y" of the stories, and another really enjoyable one - an international superhero team facing evil madmen and economic problems.

There were several other great stories and a few that didn't do it for me, as well as the obligatory Superman fanfic that seems to be in every superhero shorts collection >.< .