Inkspot Fancy

Comics and fantasy and sci-fi, oh my!

The House on the Borderland
Devil Survivor 1
Satoru Matsuba

More short stories!

Kabu Kabu - Nnedi Okorafor

I'm not usually much of a short story reader, but this book was my favorite to date (though one I am reading now is going to definitely take its place).

The stories in "Kabu-Kabu" are an interesting cross-section of types, from something like horror to more mythological stuff, to fairy tales, but all grounded in a very African worldview which gives them quite a different flavor from their more European counterparts.

The book has some drawbacks. There are times when some of the stories felt a little samey to me, to the point where I wondered if they were meant to be part of a sequence or set in the same "world."

I would be remiss if I did not also mention that this book just *looks* really nice. It has a lovely cover, and the edges of the pages are somewhat ragged, giving it a bit of a handmade look.

Some of my favorites in the collection are "Spider the Artist," about an unusual musician; "The Popular Mechanic," about loss and payment; the titular "Kabu Kabu" which just had some excellent imagery and SO much imagination; and "The Carpet," which was atmospheric and fun/creepy.

If you're looking for something a little different in your fantasy reading and like short stories, this might definitely be something to check out.