Lissibith

Inkspot Fancy

Comics and fantasy and sci-fi, oh my!

The House on the Borderland
Devil Survivor 1
Satoru Matsuba

A mixed bag

Fight Like A Girl: Learning Curve TP - David Pinckney

Amarosa has a wish. If she can defeat the nine trials set for her at the Wishing Well by the gods, she will be granted that one wish. And if she fails, when she's doomed to Hell for all eternity.

It's dire, but for her brother, Amarosa will try it. Now she just has to survive.

This book is a mixed bag. I liked the sketchy style of the art, but I suspect it might put some people off. And to be fair, there are some times when details, especially faces, can feel a little wonky. It doesn't really happen on our main character, but for other less prominent people, it can get a little wonky.

The story is likewise a mix. The premise is clever, and I like Amarosa as a character - bold and daring, throwing herself at things with all the energy she has, but also unwilling to look to either side of her goal, perhaps out of a fear that if she thinks about what she's doing, she may find herself unable to continue on her path. But the nine trials, while they have an ulterior purpose, feel a little simplistic. I was expecting something a little more clever from how she had to deal with them. That is perhaps an unfair expectation on my part, since Amarosa herself is presented as a straightforward person. It makes sense for her solutions to be a little straightforward as well. And I like a lot of her dialogue to herself, as well as her dialogue with her boyfriend. It's cute and sometimes clever.

Oh, another issue - and I feel like this was the case with Princeless as well - it feels like the original individual issues were just sort of stuck together, as there are multiple ads for other Action Lab products, to the point it's a little distracting. I'm pretty sure I counted four for Princeless alone. So be warned.

But overall the mystery - exactly what is wrong with her brother, and why is the book so coy about both it and how she feels about it - is going to get me back for the second half. This book doesn't do anything wrong, it just didn't do anything