Lissibith

Inkspot Fancy

Comics and fantasy and sci-fi, oh my!

The House on the Borderland
Satoru Matsuba
SPOILER ALERT!

Vampires on parade

Vitriol the Hunter - Brent  Allen, Billy Martin

Vitriol is a vampire hunter in a city overrun by the things, a lone man aiding the police in an attempt to save humanity. But now that the vampires are looking to solidify their hold, the city might need more help than he alone can provide.

This is a tricky book for me to review, because I really wanted to like it. I liked the art, I like vampire stories, I have a soft spot for urban fantasy - all the pieces were in place for me to really enjoy this. And during parts I really did. But a combination of a predictable story, occasional art issues and the fact that I was unable to really connect with the main character left me a bit disappointed when I was done with this one.

The idea of a city already infested to overrunning with vampires was different enough from other things I've read that I was intrigued. But once we met our main character, he didn't really distinguish himself for me from the dozens of dark and brooding vigilantes that came before him, and seems to borrow heavily from a few. I found he felt like a retread rather than a unique character. I suspect that a little more time would have helped, and I'll be looking forward to that in a second volume.

A small issue timewise, but the thing that struck me most negatively - one of the central relationships is Vitriol and the nurse who fixes him up after he gets beat up, but in general he's a complete jerk to her. I think it's supposed to read as him just not knowing how to be open with her, but since we don't really know him, it comes across as him being an ungrateful dick early on, for no reason. (And later, that person gets kidnapped as bait for him, and I cannot for the life of me figure out how the kidnappers knew the two were connected. I'm sure I just missed something, but I couldn't find it, even going back through).

I absolutely LOVE the art of this book stylistically. It has a real feel of Humberto Ramos by way of Tim Buckley (not in any of the bad ways) to me, and a lot of the time it exuded a lot of character and energy. Unfortunately, there were times when there were some hiccups from a telling-narrative-in-pictures standpoint. The art was sometimes just not clear about what happened - you could see the result, but not always what led to it. Still, those were pretty few and far between. The art in this book overall was really its strong suit.

In the end, this was okay, but I was left wanting more from the premise. I think the familiarity of some of the elements won't be a problem for a lot of readers, and the art is definitely great. If this sounds like something you might be interested in, you should definitely check it out. And if I get a chance to check out a second volume, I probably will.