Lissibith

Inkspot Fancy

Comics and fantasy and sci-fi, oh my!

The House on the Borderland
Shiho Inada, Fuyumi Ono
Devil Survivor 1
Satoru Matsuba

Circus Galacticus

Circus Galacticus - Deva Fagan Let's start with the good. This story about a girl from Earth running away with an intergalactic circus is a fun, quick read. the characters are varied and interesting, the Big Top herself is really interesting and I want to know more, and I think it tries to have a nice message at its heart about how if you feel like you're special and meant for great things, you have to work for them to make them come true.This is definitely a YA book. Unfortunately, this is not one of those charming YA books that you can still read and fully enjoy as an adult. I fully believe that if someone had put this book in my hands when I was 12, it would have been my favorite thing ever. There's a sweeping sense of scale and wonder the author captures really well. But other things, if they didn't bother me, then they at least pulled me out of the story a little.First, the story proceeds from one plot point to the next at a pretty rapid pace. On the one hand, it means no filler, but on the other, it sometimes felt like I was reading a book set in fast forward. Nothing developed beyond the bare essentials. Second, the plot is very.... easy, I guess is the best word. Everything our main character Trix tries, she's pretty much good at. A lot of the time, everything she tries goes right, and even when it goes wrong - really really wrong - there are few consequences besides her thinking to herself what a failure the is. It rings a little hollow.Third but related, Trix is a special snowflake. Granted she's often good at what she does, but there's a definite feeling that she thinks the rules don't apply to her, and when she breaks them, it's often others who pay the price. The book pays lip service to this by pointing out to her that she may be doing a lot of what she does out of a desire for attention and to stroke her ego. She doesn't ever really take the point except when she wants to feel sorry for herself, however.But if you're interested in the story as presented in the blurb above, I recommend giving this a read-through. It's fun, and the author really does capture the feelings of wonder and longing that so many of us felt as kids looking out at the stars.