Lissibith

Inkspot Fancy

Comics and fantasy and sci-fi, oh my!

The House on the Borderland
Ghost Hunt 2
Shiho Inada, Fuyumi Ono
Devil Survivor 1
Satoru Matsuba
The Magicians - Lev Grossman I... really don't know what to say about this book.I didn't like it. I know I didn't like it. But it wasn't the sort of dislike that left me disappointed, like The Thirteenth Tale, or sort of angry like the Sookie Stackhouse book I read. It just sort of left me puzzled. There were so many parts to this I should have enjoyed, should have LOVED, but in the end, reading this book felt about as useless and as big as waste of time as pretty much everything the main character did in it.The main character in this piece was miserable. Just absolutely miserable. He's convinced he's better than everyone, and that he's also too good to set goals or really pursue anything of meaning, or even search for meaning. That's not a deal breaker in and of itself, but while I think we're supposed to realize he's a complete tool, I feel like we're also supposed to come to empathize with him and want him to find his way.No. I really didn't. There were times, chances he had to redeem himself, but no. He carried on being a selfish, goalless, ambitionless sack of crap until such time as someone died for him, at which point he became a masochistic self-pitying sack of crap. He doesn't seem to really learn his lesson, or any lesson, he just trades in not dedicating himself to anyone or anything for dedicating himself to intentional suffering. He's useless, and frustrating.The other characters are varying levels. Most of the rest I felt like I might have been able to like if the story were not so aggressively attached to Quentin.The story centers on a magical school, and about the sort of post-grad blues that people might get if they were to come out of their senior year with the ability to summon demons and restitch reality instead of able to write in the inverse pyramid or teach a math class. And I think that's the problem - it felt like there were pieces of a really good story here, some great pieces of worldbuilding. The parallels between Fillory and Narnia were both overt and subtle and I quite enjoyed that. There was also something weird about either the pacing or the plot. I think it might be the plot, in that it felt like there really wasn't one. The story sort of meandered from experience to experience in a way that might have been great if I cared about the guy, but just ended up feeling tedious.