Lissibith

Inkspot Fancy

Comics and fantasy and sci-fi, oh my!

The House on the Borderland
Ghost Hunt 2
Shiho Inada, Fuyumi Ono
Devil Survivor 1
Satoru Matsuba
Jam - Yahtzee Croshaw How to describe this book... it follows all the typical tropes of the disaster/horror movie. Something terrible has happened and most of the people in our setting are gone. A small band of survivors has to work together to try to survive the event and try to find a way out of the situation - assuming, of course, that it's not a global event.And a lot of the major beats of this book follow the typical beats of these stories - the near escapes, the large-scale death, the descent into madness for a number of people. But all these beats came with a little bit of a twist - instead of truly horror, instead, what we end up with is a sort of farce, a social commentary (I have to give two thumbs up for the eventually revealed cause of the apocolypse), a main character who is just as dumb as most horror leads act and a tone that was really the biggest part of why I kept coming back.I was a little hesitant to pick this up because of the author, I have to admit. I was familiar with his video game reviews and they were largely hit or miss for me - some were hilarious, while others I just sort of finished with an "... and?" I was worried about a whole book of his writing - would it be more of the hilarious, or more of the meh?As it turned out, it struck a great middle ground, with a flawed cast that I nonetheless came to really like, a good amount of humor (including, surprisingly enough, written slapstick) and stakes that ranged from the personal and emotional to the absurd. This isn't going to be a book for everyone. If nothing else, a familiarity with the tropes of disaster movies might be helpful. And while a lot of it was really well plotted, there were points at which I was a bit confused about why certain events happened. Nothing major, but enough to ding a star off.But if comedic horror/disaster stuff sounds like your cup of tea I'd definitely recommend it.