Lissibith

Inkspot Fancy

Comics and fantasy and sci-fi, oh my!

The House on the Borderland
Ghost Hunt 2
Shiho Inada, Fuyumi Ono
Devil Survivor 1
Satoru Matsuba
The Hero of Ages - Brandon Sanderson In reading fantasy, there are the simple stories. The hero has a goal, he moves toward that goal and various obstacles present themselves to stand in his way. He defeats them. Hooray story.And then, there are the complex stories. The ones where things are interconnected, and its less of a road than a net, with threads winding through to affect both future and past events as you uncover them.Sanderson has always been a strong writer of the latter sort of fantasy. And I don't think it's evident anywhere more than here, in the third installment of the Mistborn series. If you were to try to read this on its own, it would make sense, but you would not get nearly as much out of it. The seeds of this finale were planted as far back as the first few chapters of the first book. It's rare when you can reach the end of a series and feel like every single thing that happened was pushing toward this one conclusion - that it was, in hindsight, inevitable. That is what this book accomplishes. I hate to use the word perfect, but I cannot think of anything which would have improved this ending. It was poigniant and bittersweet, powerful and absurdly simple. It also reframes everything that came before it. I cannot express how excellently I feel this ended things.I wish I could give this book 5 stars, but alas, there were some things that drew back on it for me. In the first book, I loved reading the detailed step-by-step accounts of allomancy fights, but by this book I felt like that was a little overused and some of the fights could have used some generalization in the name of cutting down on excess. Also, Sazed spends a good chunk of this book doubting himself and even feeling sorry for himself. It's understandable, but by about the halfway point I found myself dreading his POV sections because it was just always. The. Same. It grew tiresome and I actually found my deep respect for Sazed sometimes draining away because of it.The in-depth look at Spook was a welcome addition in this book, as the last one resulted in some losses on the part of out protagonist collection. The growth he exhibited as a character and person was fantastic.All in all, a worthy end to the series. If you've made it through the first two books (not the term I'd generally use, but I know they're not for everyone) you owe it to yourself to read this book.