Lissibith

Inkspot Fancy

Comics and fantasy and sci-fi, oh my!

The House on the Borderland
Ghost Hunt 2
Shiho Inada, Fuyumi Ono
Devil Survivor 1
Satoru Matsuba
Feed - Mira Grant First things first - if you're a journalist or have solid knowledge about how journalism works and read this, you may notice a few things. First, if the author doesn't have an actual axe to grind against the profession, she fakes it really well. Second, the way the 'journalist' main character talks about news, journalism and truth will occasionally trigger your suspension of disbelief and come across as somewhat hypocritical. Third, the book has some... interesting ideas about the relations between 'traditional' journalism, 'bloggers' and the rest of the internet. (For instance, I suspect that even when this book was written and released, the idea that blogs would beat things like Twitter, Facebook or message board-style sites for breaking the news, drawing people in and rounding up info on fighting the zombie outbreak was silly)This eases up about a third of the way through, except for the part where Truth apparently means My Opinions, and that one's at least pervasive enough in literature not to throw you out of the story. And once it does, or if that sort of thing won't bother you, this is a solidly plotted, engaging and fast-moving book with some unusual main characters.There are a few deaths here, and while one major one is pretty easy to spot coming, they're all effective, in the manner of zombie fiction deaths. There is some tooth-grinding character stupidity sprinkled throughout but it managed not to be terribly distracting. there are also a lot of flat characters - the villain is transparently evil from the get-go, the Senator is pleasant but bland and the biggest surprise from team member Buffy comes with her not only unexpected but sort of surprising in a "what clues were there" way face-heel turn. George, our main character, is the most fleshed out, but she's sort of unlikeable. Her brother gets the best treatment, as his personal growth through the story is gradual and very believable. But in all, its okay because you're not along for the companionship, you're along for the ride. One thing that struck me that seems to have a purpose that I just can't figure out was the way the testing procedures needed to be explained every. Single. Time. If you made a drinking game out of the testing and the times George has to take off her sunglasses because of security, even a slow reader could get drunk. Anyone have a theory?This 4 is more of a 3.5. Usually with halves I round down, but I suspect that the issues I have with the weirdly antagonistic and questionably accurate view of journalism undercut what might otherwise have been a nice, slow-build first act and guess most people won't have that distraction. I'll probably pick up the next volume at some point, but I suspect I won't jump to it.