Lissibith

Inkspot Fancy

Comics and fantasy and sci-fi, oh my!

The House on the Borderland
Ghost Hunt 2
Shiho Inada, Fuyumi Ono
Devil Survivor 1
Satoru Matsuba
Princess Knight / リボンの騎士 1 - Osamu Tezuka Let's play count the references to Western cartoons! Go on, I'll wait. :)I only half kid. The story is supposed to be based on medieval romances, but it seems to draw a lot of inspiration for a lot of those from the western cartoon adaptations of such romances (as well as other stories!) We get Tink, a mischievous cherub who dresses a bit like Peter Pan. We get the princess who can talk to and get help from animals (generally small woodland creatures). We get the evil witch who can turn into a giant horned dragon. We even get a one-off gag that I feel certain was meant to evoke the old Warner Brothers shorts with the big bull dog taking care of the little black and white kitten. There's more but without the book in front of me, I can't begin to name them all.The story has a lot of back and forth, a lot of action, and once you get past the gender essentialism (boy hearts are courageous and daring while girl hearts are demure and kind, give me a break) its really just an extended fairy tail. It's cute, and a fun read. And I do give them props for saying that while Sapphire has both a boy heart and a girl heart, she definitely identifies as a woman, that she's not confused about who she is at any point.