Lissibith

Inkspot Fancy

Comics and fantasy and sci-fi, oh my!

The House on the Borderland
Devil Survivor 1
Satoru Matsuba

Welcome to my shop

Nightmare Inspector: Yumekui Kenbun, Vol. 1: Lost Things - Shin Mashiba

For a manga that I actually like fairly well, this one gets off to one head-scratcher of a bad start.

Well... maybe not bad so much as WTF. I came in expecting a vaguely horror-themed comics and the first chapter is just so weird. Not for introducing out main character Hiruko, a Baku who eats dreams. No, because of the true identity of the first client Hiruko helps. I won't spoil it for you, because it's fairly lolarious.

But luckily after that things get darker and more serious. While I wasn'ty actually scared by anything in this, there are definitely some creepy and unsettling chapters, looking at the way people can lie to themselves and the horrible things they can visit on other people. My favorite in this lot was probably the woman who had a dream where she would write "tomorrow will be a repeat of today" on the floor. But driven to distraction by an endlessly repeating cycle of sameness seemingly brought on by the dream, one night she changes the message. And what she changes it to is so horrifying to her that she seeks out help to save her from it might make her do.

An entertaining introduction, dark, fun and interesting to me.